About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2012)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

America 7, Fbi 6, Obama 6, Piers 5, Clinton 5, David Petraeus 4, U.n. 3, Mccain 3, Jasper 3, Lenny Davis 3, Phillips 3, Savannah 3, Meredith Vieira 3, Egypt 3, Kelly Ayotte 2, Warren Buffett 2, Cia 2, Gordon 2, Lindsey Graham 2, Afghanistan 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2012)  

    November 14, 2012
    9:00 - 10:00pm PST  

9:00pm
said he is representing frederick. the agent who received the complaint from jill kelley that complaint within several months lead to the resignation of david petreaus. resignation of the cia director david petraeus and on that note, here is piers morgan tonight. starting with breaking news tonight, you are looking at capitol hill where david petraeus is to testify in front of the senate committee. meanwhile, we are learning more about the agent who was the first to be identified to have started this. he said that the infamous shirtless picture he sent to her was a joke and several years ago. and now we will listen to what the president has to say about
9:01pm
the argument over susan rice. >> if senator graham and senator mccain want to go after somebody, they should go after me, and i'm happy to have that discussion, but for them to gof a u.n. ambassador who had nothing to do with benghazi and simply making a prez sentation information she had receive and to besmirch her reputation is outrageo outrageous. >> if the president thinks that we are pick on people, he really does not have any idea of how serious this issue is. >> the benghazi battle turning into a hot issue. i will talk to one of the senators taking the president to task, kelly ayotte. but we will begin with the latest on the petraeus investigation. we are joined by suzanne, welcome back. >> thank you, piers. always nice to be here. >> here is my overview on the
9:02pm
key characters. we now know who the fbi agent was who began this whole investigation, fredrick w. hu hmm fri who is a glorous name and he is through friends and colleagues of clearing himself of anything wrong, is that right? >> yes, a couple of sources who have come out to give a little bit more information about him and the nature of the relationship and it seems like more of a friendship with the fami families than anything else. the real headline this week is that he had sent a shirtless photograph of himself to jill kel lley and when you get down the bottom, it may be slightly different. we are told it maybe is not so sexy, but it is described by a couple of people that he was a shooting range where they had a couple of dummies with the head and the torso and he had taken his shirt off as a joke to stood between them and that is the shirtless photo, but piers, i don't find it all that sexy. >> well, nothing worse.
9:03pm
and now over to paula broadwell who had her security clearance suspended today, but from what we are hearing from the sources, she, too, in relation to confidence shall con fi shall on her component may be in the clear as well. >> yes, fran townsend reported this earlier that it appears that the information on her computer may have been classified, but it was not all that egregious and nothing there that there were any concerns about national security and possibly not even enough there to bring any charges against her. of course, piers, that is for the department of justice to decide if charges will be brought against her and not up to the fbi. >> and finally general allen read a statement saying he full willy intends to cooperate with the inspectors and sincerely appreciates the support of the president and the members of the public, and he says he is in the clear, and that e-mails he exchanged with jill kelley are innocuous. >> yes, he was confident and didn't sound like it was coming
9:04pm
from a person who was worried a about anything coming out that would be damaging to their care career. it is possible at the end of the day, general petraeus was really the casualty of an affair of, you know, how he had even phrased it himself a as an incredible lack of judgment. ultima ultimately, it was his decision to step down from the job, and of course, the dni, jim clapper recommended that he do it and with a heavy heart to recommend th that, but it could be at the end of it, that he is the biggest casualty of all of this. >> thank you. >> pleasure. >> joining me is one of the senators taking on president obama and ambassador rice, and senator kelly ayotte from new hampshire. getting heated today between the president and you guys, and how convinced are you that you are
9:05pm
right in your suspicions that there is genuine foul play here? >> well, i would say this, i think that there are so many questions that need to be answered. more questions than answers, and that is one of the reason s s today, we called for the establishment of the select committee in the senate. many committees have jurisdiction over this, the armed services committee, the intelligence committee, foreign relati relations, homeland security and i fear a stove pipe investigation where we don't get to the bottom of it. so there are serious questions, and for example two prior attacks on the consulakonconsuly was it not reinforced and why weren't some of the best military in the world could not respond in a zseven-hour attack and why weren't statements answered by the american people by the president. >> and in regards to susan rice, it was clear that she had nothing to do with the benghazi,
9:06pm
and her only role was to go to the "meet the press" and repeat what she had been told by the intelligent services, and do you accept that part of the defense? >> piers, i think it begs the question. why would you go on every major sunday show, because you have tof affirmatively put yourself out there if you had nothing to do with it. you know you have a certain responsibility and you have to be able to tell the american people the truth, and i think that there are serious questions about it. we know that there was e-mails sent from the state department within hours to the white house identifying that ansar al sharia had claimed responsibility, a terrorist group, and for the administration to put her out there and also in her role as a u.n. ambassador, why are you
9:07pm
putting me out there versus the secretary of state or the cia or even leon panetta. >> does this tell you it is cover-up or conspiracy? are we talking about a major cover-up that we are defeating al qaeda or simply just pretty poor performance by all of the people up the line in dealing with this attack? >> well, it is why we need to get to the bottom of all of the questions that i identified earlier and it is one of two thingsb and you have said it, it is either blatant incompetence or misleading the american peop people. so i would like to know the facts so that we will know exactly what happened and most of all make sure it does not happen again. we had four brave americans murdered, and frankly, their families deserve answers, and the american people deserve answer answers on this to make sure that we get to the bottom of it and it does not happen again. >> thank you so much indeed for joining me. >> thank you, piers. i want to bring back general
9:08pm
mark kimmon who is secretary of state and been with david petraeus for 25 years. general, welcome back. one thing that struck me is that you have all of this going on with the generals behaving badly but maybe not as badly before, but misappropriately in the case of general allen and then at the same time you have serious things going on in the world and in particular gaza, israel, and the assassinations it seems of t the top hamas military leader today. you know, this is a serious time for world affairs, and this is why the focus really needs to be right back on to this quickly, doesn't it? >> well, that is right. i can assure that while there may be some attention paid inside of the beltway with senator petraeus and perhaps general allen, the general is well informed of what is happening in the middle east, and those two commanders have
9:09pm
day-to-day responsibility for the area around israel and the area around egypt. >> we have video of the military leader of hamas who was blown up in his car, and you can even see the explosion here. this is released on the internet in a sort of war of the internet going on as well in the ground with both sides using it for their propaganda purposes. how dangerous do you think it is over there given what we are seeing? hamas has threatened tremendous retribution talk about the gates of hell opened? >> well, i'm more concerned of egypt. the muslim brotherhood is in power now, and it is unsteady power. they have to find the fine line between the secular military and the sopponents.
9:10pm
if there is a battle, it is inside egypt. >> and we were talking today earlier to find out that one by one all of the major security breaches are down played and in the end, we are left with general petraeus having had an affair, an affair discovered by the fbi under different circumstance, and in this circumstance, could he have ridden it out? >> well, he, himself, could not ride it out. he did the honorable thing and resigned. he knew that the announcement that he had been having an affair with someone not his wife, he knows the affect on this organization and the institution, and both the institution of the agency and of the military. and so he did exactly what one would expect of an honorable man and he tendered his resignation. >> and we have had general
9:11pm
eisenhower, and general patton and president j.f. kennedy and all of them stayed in their jobs and deemed great leaders and aren't we too puritan cipuritan haven't we lost a great military mind. and maybe as a society, should we relook at, this or do you believe that the discipline, it has to be the case? >> well, it is about ethical and moral leadership. we have a not a conscript and not a draft army, but a all volunteer army, and the soldiers are looking to the leaders voluntarily for guidance and leadership and direction and example. in a volunteer army, when that is broken and when that trust and confidence between the leader and led is broken, you have to step down. let's not forget that david petraeus is a young man and after a period of reflection and after a period of somewhat
9:12pm
redempti redemption, he has a tremendous amount to offer the united states of america, and we have not heard the last and this is not the last chapter. i would suspect after some period of time we will see him re-enter the public domain and continue to offer what he has offered up to this point. >> and that would be a good thing. thank you, general, for coming back. appreciate it. >> thank you. join meg now is gregory craig. he is chief counsel to president obama. welcome mr. craig. let me lay the cards on the table, because i find it inconceivable that the white house would have had zero knowledge of an fbi investigation with the director of the cia and tell me why i should not be incredulous. >> you should not be so excited over that issue. the fbi conducts many, many investigations and hundreds of them, and sometimes they are high profile and some not so high profile. this is high profile, but routinely and ordinarily the fbi
9:13pm
reports through justice department, and the justice department does not notify the white house tor president about investigations that are under way. my experience is that we got told about indictments that were go ing to be coming forward or about arrests that were going to be made, but we were not consulted or informed about investigations underway. there are a lot of good reasons for that. this is not something that happens with the democratic attorney general, but republican attorney general as well. >> right. let me just jump in, there because it is not any old ordinary investigation, because it is one of the top investigating organizations investing the chief of another one which is over a sex scandal which could potentially and has bring him down. >> well, there's a -- the issue of whether you want to have any appearance that there are political judgments exercised as opposed to pure law enforcement judgments exercised and that is why there are no rules here.
9:14pm
there are no laws here, and there's really no conventions here other than under a normal circumstances, the fbi and the justice department does not include the white house or consult the white house in these kinds of investigations, because no matter who is the president, you don't want the white house to be involved in making decisions about prosecutorial issues. also, you don't want to maximize disclosure of evidence or privacy if these investigations don't turn out to be productive and lead to nothing. >> what we are told is that the investigation was concluded before the election, but the news was only imparted after the election, and now that obviously lends itself immediate ly to conspiracy theorists, and why wouldn't they have gone straight to the white house the moment they knew that the investigation was concluded? >> well, i am not sure i understand what conspiracy you may be thinking about, but it seems to be justified to go to
9:15pm
the white house quickly and early and promptly if there are issues of national security and migs compromised and clandestine activities undermined or if there is a compromise of the national security information or national secrets, or alternative ti, you would go to the white house if the president had to make a policy decision that would influence the outcome of the investigation. none of those circumstances were here, piers. this was an investigation of a bunch of e-mails, and the allegation was not that anybody was involved in spying or espionage, and the allegation had to do with the private activity. >> unless the classified documents that now appear to be on the computer turn out to be highly sensitive, and this would take it to a different realm, wouldn't it? >> of course, it would. but as i understand it, the it is probably the people near the
9:16pm
attorney general or justice department knew about it early on and made the decision unless there were national security information that should be acted on, it should go the normal route and not treated any differently. as i understand it, the national intelligence community was not notified until wednesday and the president was not notified until thursday. >> thank you, mr. craig f, for coming on. >> glad to be here. >> and another man who knows about crisis, president clinton's special counsel lenny davis. ♪
9:17pm
[ male announcer ] you build a reputation by not breaking down. consider the silverado 1500 -- still the most dependable, longest-lasting full-size pickups on the road. and now we've also been recognized for lowest total cost of ownership -- based on important things, like depreciation, fuel, and maintenance costs. and now trade up to get a 2012 chevy silverado all-star edition with a total value of $9,000. from outstanding value to standing the test of time, chevy runs deep.
9:18pm
introducing the new droid razr maxx hd by motorola. now more than ever droid does. starts with arthritis pain and a choice. take tylenol or take aleve, the #1 recommended pain reliever by orthopedic doctors. just two aleve can keep pain away all day. back to the news. bp has paid overthe people of bp twenty-threeitment to the gulf. billion dollars to help those affected and to cover cleanup costs. today, the beaches and gulf are open, and many areas are reporting their best tourism seasons in years. and bp's also committed to america. we support nearly 250,000 jobs and invest more here than anywhere else. we're working to fuel america for generations to come. our commitment has never been stronger.
9:19pm
when they go after the u.n. ambassador, apparently because they think she's an easy target, then they have a problem with me. >> if the president thinks that we are picking on people, he really does not have any idea of
9:20pm
how serious this issue is. >> the battle rages over ambassador rice and the strong words of president obama and senator mccain are questions over benghazi and a possible cover-up. joining me is lenny davis, special counsel for president clinton. >> this is all getting very heated. i watched the president saying leave ambassador rice alone come after me. but she was the one sent out on that sunday onto the morning television show. i know because i i watched it happen. that intelligence may have been flawed but she was the go-to person for the white house wasn't she? >> i have been on the white house on fridays and saturdays as decisions have been made. there are important decisions in the white house because sometimes policy is on the sunday shows. so there had to be someone to address the tragedy and
9:21pm
ambassador rice was the prominent person available, and she was given talking points as i understand it, by the intelligence community on what was consulted on what to say. now that turned out to the be wrong. and i have great respect for john mccain and lindsey graham, because i consider them friend, and they are right this needs to be investigated 100%, and very, very serious, but it is different from saying that there was an intentional misrepresentation, and i don't understand attacking ms. rice, the ambassador who was telling the truth that she believed at that time which turned out to the be wrong. >> and on the anderson cooper's show, it was very similar circumstances with wmds and that had more catastrophic circumstances you could say. so it is a rocky path to whom
9:22pm
you are going to choose to defend and not defend is serious. the judgment to put ambassador rice on the television shows without having all of the facts was a judgment that the white house made and president obama has it right if there was a criticism to be made, it was in the judgment in retrospect, but certainly, i don't understand impugn iing th sincerity for doing what ambassador rice is there to do and speaking what she was told to say. >> and someone who obviously operated with president clinton
9:23pm
through a very well publicized affair, what do you make of general petraeus now that we have worked out that this is just about sex and not about secrets being passed or anything else, should he have resigned? >> well, it is his personal decision, and i don't question his decision. i personally don't think that he should have been asked to resign. it is not necessary for him to resign, and i agree with general kimmet that he should look forward to a next chapter in his life. he is a great and courageous man with a personal weakness that many people, men and women share, and in this case public humiliation and embarrassment is the pain and the penalty, and he stood up to the line and said and did the right thing for him, but no, i don't think that it was necessary for him to resign. >> and if we can turn now to the fiscal cliff. i want to play you a comment today to poppy harlow from
9:24pm
warren buffett with all things economic. let's watch this. >> i have never in those 60 years of managing money for all kinds of people come up with an idea and said, poppy, i have a terrific idea to make us some money, and you say to me, well, i would do it, but the tax rates are too high. it has never happened. >> well, i watched the whole interview and he was fascinating. i find him a fascinating guy anyway and there you have one of the richest guys in america, and one of the top two or three richest people in the world, that i have never seen anybody saying to hire with capital gains and in he had never seen any evidence that it ever affected investment or job creation and he said look, president obama must carry on to tax the wealthy more, and in fact, he began in a new staging poster where if you earned $10
9:25pm
million a year, you would pay more than $250,000 a year, and i thought it made perfect sense. >> not only perfect sense, but it does not matter what party, you are in if you look at at any poll if you ask people if people earning $250,000 or more a year pay more taxes to now to help dig us out of the immoral $16 trillion national debt, the erskine bowles and allan simpson commission said yes, and we should cut corporate tax rates. and you remember that he said i should not be paying less taxes than the secretary. and that is all president obama is saying that if we are going to sacrifice, bill clinton and people like myself should be paying more taxes, and that does not mean that we won't make investments, and warren buffett has it right. >> and by the way, the stinking rich are paying 1% or 2% more, they will still be stinking rich. thank you, lenny davis. >> thank you, piers. and next, jay tapper
9:26pm
covering the front lines and what h did he think of the contentious news conference today? that is coming up. did he think contentious news conference today? that is coming up. did he think contentious news conference today? that is coming up. did he think contentious ne conference today? that is coming up. did he think contentious news conference today? that is coming up. if you are one of the millions of men
9:27pm
who have used androgel 1%, there's big news. presenting androgel 1.62%. both are used to treat men with low testosterone. androgel 1.62% is from the makers of the number one prescribed testosterone replacement therapy. it raises your testosterone levels, and... is concentrated, so you could use less gel. and with androgel 1.62%, you can save on your monthly prescription. [ male announcer ] dosing and application sites between these products differ. women and children should avoid contact with application sites. discontinue androgel and call your doctor if you see unexpected signs of early puberty in a child, or, signs in a woman which may include changes in body hair or a large increase in acne, possibly due to accidental exposure. men with breast cancer or who have or might have prostate cancer, and women who are, or may become pregnant or are breast feeding should not use androgel. serious side effects include worsening of an enlarged prostate, possible increased risk of prostate cancer, lower sperm count, swelling of ankles, feet,
9:28pm
or body, enlarged or painful breasts, problems breathing during sleep, and blood clots in the legs. tell your doctor about your medical conditions and medications, especially insulin, corticosteroids, or medicines to decrease blood clotting. talk to your doctor today about androgel 1.62% so you can use less gel. log on now to androgeloffer.com and you could pay as little as ten dollars a month for androgel 1.62%. what are you waiting for? this is big news.
9:29pm
president obama faced tough questions today. especially about benghazi and
9:30pm
the cia scandal. jake tapper is a senior correspondent and also and author of a book called "outpost." welcome. >> it is great to be here. >> and it is almost perfect timing, this book, because we were discussing before we went on air that it discusses two great general, the best, and both are gone, and did you ef imagine that would happen when you wrote the book? >> no. no, and the book is mainly about the grunts on the ground. it looks how people like president obama and obama and how they're decisions end up affecting these guys on the outpost on the bottom of three steep mountains. one of the things that emerges is that mcchrystal and the aides are obsessed with the idea of a celebrity general as petraeus has become. if you read the press clips,
9:31pm
petraeus was the savior of iraq and mcchrystal wanted to be that and there was this hubris that took over. >> and hence the biography that petraeus did which brought him down by putting him in contact with this woman. >> and they start to believe their own press clippings. >> and they start to play the media game which ends in tears, isn't it? >> well, we are a fickle bunch, aren't we, piers. one day we are nice to you and the next day we are not. general mcchrystal from the time he was appointed to the head of the forces in afghanistan is from the very moment of his confirmation hearing, he and the white house are in this back and forth and it is actually long before th"rolling stone" story r him and his aides to backlash, but it is having deadly
9:32pm
consequences for the men at the bottom of the hill. >> and it must be a huge distracti distracti distraction for them, because my brother is fighting over there, and it is a total distraction, isn't it? >> yes, it is. with the petraeus story breaking, we had a book launch on saturday night, and a lot of the troops in the book came, and a lot of the gold star moms and gold star wives, and when petraeus was mentioned, it was an incredulousness, and these men served in and a area of the village where they would not see women for months. >> and there was the boss having an affair. >> yes, and it was so bad that they felt that women do not exist anymore and there was a female helicopter who would buzz over them, and they would all run over, because they wanted to hear her voice, because they
9:33pm
were convinced that she was gorgeous, and meanwhile, what is petraeus doing few years later in afghanistan. it is madness. >> come on, we had great generals, patton, eisenhower, and great presidents jfk and clinton and others had affairs and certainly in the modern digital era unraveling it is the problem, what do you say to that? >> well, the idea and the problem is not that general p petraeus had an affair, and the idea and the big problem is that he was director of the ci, and a he walked into one of the most blackmailable situations that you can have. it is good that the fbi found out before the russians or the chinese. that is the problem. it is not that he is a general messing around and certainly even according to the uniform code of military justice that is not allowed, but that is not what the press is focused on, it is focused on the drirector of the cia having this problem.
9:34pm
>> and today, the benghazi is blowing up again, and senator mccain and senator lindsey graham getting vicious, and the rhetoric toward ambassador rice and so on, so what do you think at the central plank of this, is ambassador rice at fault or as barack obama said today, she was merely passing on intelligence and not a key player in all of this, and tlf, if he -- therefore if he wants to make her secretary of state, he can do it. >> well, i was substituting for george stephanopoulos and all of the shows were trying to get hillary clinton to talk about benghazi, but for whatever reason she did not come out, and he put out susan rice. it is interesting that the president said she had nothing to do with benghazi, then why was she on the show? >> didn't she make herself a key player or the person put up by the administration to launch the defense, and she would have said, look, we believe there are
9:35pm
a number of possible theories, and that may have been a get-out, but she didn't do it. >> she was a good soldier and did what the administration told her to do and read the talking points. >> did she act in good faith do you believe? >> i can't get inside of her brain, but i believe she was repeating the intelligence and what the white house told her to say, because what she was saying is similar to what everybody in the white house and the state department was saying at the time. so i don't think that she was doing anything other than what she had been instructed to say. the big question is not whether this was one of the prominent theories that it was all a spontaneous protest from the anti-muslim video and it was one of the most prominent theories, but on september 14th at the white house brief iing, said, there are other people in the government who say it is not the video and something else in benghazi and for whatever reason it seemed that i had better intelligence sources in the government than the white house, because they were leaning heavily into the videotape
9:36pm
theory. >> or as john mccain would have us believe that it was the narrative of the white house running for the election that we are defeating al qaeda is not helped if it looks like an al qaeda type of resurgence was up against the ambassador in benghazi and indeed led to his death. that is a problem, right? >> without question as somebody who was covering the benghazi story in the months leading up to the election and also covering the election, so it was so politicized with the white house and the administration and the defensive crouch, because they thought every word they said would be twisted and unfairly attacked and they did not want to interfere with a positive narrative with the al qaeda and the republicans putting out conspiracy theories and some of them not rooted in any facts or evidence, that it was tough to report on this, because both sides were not acting normally as one would hope they would. >> and jay, it is a fascinating book, and a riveting read about
9:37pm
this extraordinary battle, but more about the people on the ground doing the hard stuff for their country. thank you. >> good to be here, piers. >> tonight, taking on the big stories and more. why do they want to kill their dog? meredith vieira and richard cohen join me live. i can't wait to hear this excuse. employees are being forced to do more with less. and the need for capable leaders is greater than ever. when you see these problems do you take a step back, or do you want to dive right in? with a degree in business from capella university, you'll have the knowledge to go further in your career than you ever thought possible. let's get started at capella.edu ♪ ♪
9:38pm
[ male announcer ] you've been years in the making. and there are many years ahead. join the millions of members who've chosen an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. go long. can i still ship a gift in time for christmas? yeah, sure you can. great. where's your gift? uh... whew. [ male announcer ] break from the holiday stress. ship fedex express by december 22nd for christmas delivery. constipated? yeah. mm. some laxatives like dulcolax can cause cramps. but phillips' caplets don't. they have magnesium. for effective relief of occasional constipation. thanks. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. phillips'.
9:39pm
9:40pm
9:41pm
we have been everywhere simply pushing reform publicly and behind the scenes urging the house and senate to pass legislation before this august deadline and why is that so important to set a deadline? >> well, if you don't set a deadline, nothing happens. the default in washington is inaction and inertia. >> mr. obama interviewed by meredith vieira and since then she has stopped being a correspondent, and now -- you were furious when you came out here, because you don't want to kill your dog? >> no.
9:42pm
>> and so the potential dog kill ser your husband? >> y. >> you are the dog lover? >> yes, i want p.e.t.a. to be very clear on this. it an extraordinary story, but the president has just been re-elected and very brilliantly in the end, and then immediately involved in the lurid tale of generals and sex and whatever else? what do you make of it? >> i think that biggest mistake that was made was starting the investigation to begin with. >> i totally agree with that. >> and i believe it is unnecessary and trampling on people's rights and privacy rights. >> well, in the end, you have two women competing for the after f affections and one who is having the affair and one who isn't, and one that is flirtatious that we know by the way she behaved with other generals?
9:43pm
>> do we know is the way she was around othpetraeus? >> well, we know that is the way she was around florida and there was a little squabble and the next thing the cia director is being grilled and has to resign without any security aspect to it which is the case. so you are left with an affair that would have left uncovered and now maybe a moral argument against it if he were in the military, but as the cia dr director, and be the first to have an affair? >> no, nor the last, but he made the decision. >> if you had been there today doing the "today" show, how would you play this? >> well, i would not be judging him one way or another. >> but there is a journalistic feeling? >> well, some people feel there is an affair that would be wrong
9:44pm
and some questions of national security, and we don't know. i think that we are still learning that, but if you just said that it is a relationship, an affair, that is anybody's business personally. that is necessarily affects what he does nor does it mean that someone should demand that he step down, but he made that decision. >> i think that every american should be sitting here tonight realizing that this could happen to them. >> what! >> really? >> except for me. >> i love it. something you want to get off of your chest. now is the moment. >> i know what you mean. >> explain what you mean. >> i think it is egregious overreaching of authority and really trampling people's privacies and their rights. >> mick jagger made an interesting comment launching the new "rolling stones"
9:45pm
documentary saying that america seemed a much more gentle place then, and certainly no smartphones and none of us would have been reading e-mails from a general and let alone knowing about his affairs. i did read it and think, well, he has a point. it is a much more aggressive society, because information is ea easily collectible. and a great general can be brought down, because two women are squabbling over e-mails. it does seem, when you put it like that, doesn't it, innately trivial and damaging. >> yes, but you also have to wonder why given the fact that we all know that people would put themselves in that situation, too. in some way, once you are in a relationship, it could easily get out. >> that is a very valid point, and a certainly massive risk to tashgs and i guess he would have known the repercussions, and the other women are not young girls. it is not like a monica lewinsky situation where you could argue she was too young to understand the consequences, but this is
9:46pm
women in the 30s and the 40s. >> well, it is tragic, because of who he is, and what he he has sacrificed for the country, so all of of that makes it very sad. >> well, anything you ever put on the air, internet -- >> it comes back the bite you in the end. >> it can come back. there is no such thing -- >> no secrets anymore. >> no. >> and so let's take a break and talk about some of your ghastly secrets, why you want to kill the pet dog. one. two. three.
9:47pm
my credit card rewards are easy to remember. with the bankamericard cash rewards credit card, i earn 1% cash back everywhere, every time. [ both ] 2% back on groceries. [ all ] 3% on gas! no hoops to jump through. i earn more cash back on the things i buy most. [ woman in pet store ] it's as easy as... [ all ] one! -two. -[ all ] three! [ male announcer ] the bankamericard cash rewards credit card. apply online or at a bank of america near you. is the same frequent heartburn treatment as prilosec otc. now with a fancy coating that gives you a burst of wildberry flavor. now why make a flavored heartburn pill? because this is america. and we don't just make things you want, we make things you didn't even know you wanted. like a spoon fork. spray cheese. and jeans made out of sweatpants. so grab yourself some new prilosec otc wildberry. [ male announcer ] one pill each morning. 24 hours. zero heartburn. satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
9:48pm
since ameriprise financial was founded back in 1894, they've been committed to putting clients first. helping generations through tough times. good times. never taking a bailout. there when you need them. helping millions of americans over the centuries. the strength of a global financial leader. the heart of a one-to-one relationship. together for your future. ♪
9:49pm
9:50pm
hibernate, hibernate. hibernate. >> keep it down, we're trying to hibernate! >> meredith vieira. her star on "sesame street." back with her and her husband, richard. you would have slaughtered them, wouldn't you are the extraordinary author of "i want to kill the dog." there is jasper. you have, richard? >> i would never hurt a dog. >> tongue and cheek there is a picture of him. there is a saw, and it says "i want to kill the dog." this is how you are selling your book.
9:51pm
there's a family snap on the back, and there they are all lovingly caressing him. you want to murder him. what's it about? obviously a bit of a joke. >> it is a bit of a joke. it's about a dog who is the most annoying dog in the county, who has got a shrieking bark that never stops. >> are we talking about jasper? >> really? let me move back to meredith. >> don't start. i know too much. >> he's also a dog who thinks that meredith is his wife. >> really? >> and does not let anybody near her. >> yeah. he is possessive which often happens with an animal. >> who chose jasper? you did? >> well, our kids did. our children did. no, no. we were -- >> i grew up in a family of animal lovers. i'm an animal tolerator. i had a cat called rocky balboa, >> so cute. >> yeah, yeah, but i never really got into the whole animal thing much. i felt a bit detached, probably like richard.
9:52pm
this over obsessive. give me a cuddle, have a cry and two years later you bury them. >> is that the coldest approach to an animal i have ever heard. two years later you bury them? you you will die. you certainly don't think so, but you will. >> why invest all of this emotional time in something that won't last? >> it's part of your family. something you love and it gives you love back. have you not felt this? did rocky balboa not love you? >> rocky balboa didn't last very long and the pet goldfish, come home, upside down, another one is gone. great. explain to me why jasper is so integral to your life. >> i'm able to give love and have you a problem because obviously stuff that happened in your childhood which is your issue. jasper has -- in fairness to richard, jasper is a difficult dog. he's a barker.
9:53pm
he is possessive. >> he is a shrieker. >> he is a shrieker. >> really? i can see now why he thinks he is married to meredith. >> u.s. subs in the indian ocean have picked up the shriek. >> it's a very funny book. i will be serious. very entertaining and amusing and anyone that loves animals, or feels that you do and i do, i have to admit it is a classic family pet story, isn't it? >> it is. it is about a family and the pet pedestal and about the pet culture which is total ly out o hand. it is a little bit of social commentary and lot of comedy. >> it's very, very funny. >> let's talk about things that aren't funny, but very entertaining to watch the breakfast tv wars, the general feeling it's the moment you left "today," it's all gone to hell in a hand cart.
9:54pm
>> that is the not true. >> not far off. >> well, obviously things happen. there are ups and downs for shows, and right now, where "today" show where i love and hope the do more pieces with them, and my heart and soul is with nbc going through a more difficult time than a few years ago, but we will be fine. and don nash was just named executive producer, and he is fantastic. >> and yes, now there is a female executive overseeing the thing. and the first time that "today" show has had a woman at the top. >> in that capacity, yes. and there are women in positions of -- executive positions for sure. >> could you be lured back? >> i'm doing stuff for "today." >> permanently back on the couch? >> what does that mean? >> whatever you want it to be. >> no, they have a great team in savannah and matt, they are fantastic and natalie and al.
9:55pm
they are great. they don't need me for sure. why do you give me that look? >> it must be quietly satisfying. even though you love the show and the people there. be satisfying that you were clearly that popular. >> but it has nothing to do with me. that's not the case. >> i think you are too modest. i loved you on that show. >> well, i love that show now. >> you and mate were like lennon and mccartney. >> which one am i? >> well, he is the pretty one -- you were mccartney. >> thank you. i think chemistry is very difficult, and any time you build a new team, you have to rebuild that. the people that do "today" are individually fantastic and as a grown fantastic, and i believe they have real chemistry, because they truly like each other. and they also do a great show, but kudos to "gma." that is great.
9:56pm
>> kudos to savannah, and we will send richard over. >> savannah is fantastic, and you are a trouble maker and you're going to hell. >> i like all of the shows in the morning? >> do you watch any of them? you watch any of them. >> i want to kill the dog, richard cohen, terrifically funny book. lovely to see you both. >> great to see you, too. >> come back soon. we will be right back. from unitedhealthcare. with this plan, you can get copays as low as a dollar through a preferred network pharmacy like walgreens -- where you'll find 8,000 convenient locations. best of all, this plan has the lowest part d premium in the united states -- only $15 a month. open enrollment ends december 7th. so call today or visit your local walgreens. but i'm still stubbed up. [ male announcer ] truth is, nyquil doesn't unstuff your nose. what?
9:57pm
[ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus liquid gels speeds relief to your worst cold symptoms plus has a decongestant for your stuffy nose. thanks. that's the cold truth! [ gordon ] for some this line is a convenience. how you doing today? i'm good thanks. how are you? i'm good. [ gordon ] but for others, it's all they can afford. every day nearly nine million older americans don't have enough to eat. anything else? no, not today. join me, aarp, and aarp foundation
9:58pm
in the drive to end hunger by visiting drivetoendhunger.org.
9:59pm